Monday, February 21, 2011

Our Reflections

When I first got to know the heritage trail that we are about to set on, I was a little puzzled. It had never occurred to me that Fort Canning was a significant place in the 14th century. For my limited knowledge, I had only heard about the Fort Canning during colonial days in 18th century, where the British were stationed at and it was also the place they decided surrendered to the Japanese. Hence, I was baffled about what Fort Canning was like during 14th century. It seemed to me that I could learn more about the pre-colonial days from this heritage trail and indeed it proved to be a fruitful one!

Prior to embarking on the 14th century trail, we did our research on the various stops and stations. It was then that we realized the many historical significance of the various parts of Fort Canning. One of which is the Keramat. Though I have been to Fort Canning for numerous visits, I have never visited the Keramat before. It was during the trail that I finally got to visit this old structure, located in a deserted corner of its own. With the knowledge in hand, we could better appreciate the designs on the pillars and roof. In addition, the archaeological dig area is one captivating exhibit. Through the artefacts on display and the accompanying information boards, we learnt more about the lives in the 14th century. On the other hand, there were several other stations that do not exist now, for instance the Parit Singapore and Forbidden Spring. It was left to our imagination to visualize how these features in Fort Canning look like.

This heritage trail has been a wonderful experience, from reading up on the background information to finally seeing it for ourselves the preserved structures from ancient days although some do not exist today. It was undoubtedly a productive trip with much knowledge gained and a fun-filled day for the seven of us!

- Xin Ying

No comments:

Post a Comment